World News‎ > ‎

British Red Cross doctor kidnapped in Pakistan found beheaded

posted 29 Apr 2012, 07:31 by Sam Mbale   [ updated 29 Apr 2012, 07:31 ]

The beheaded body of a kidnapped British doctor working for the International Committee of the Red Cross is found dumped by the roadside in the southwestern Pakistan city of Quetta.

QUETTA, PAKISTAN (APRIL 29, 2012) (REUTERS) - The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has condemned the kidnap and brutal murder of British doctor, Khalil Rasjed Dale, 60, whose beheaded body was found dumped by a roadside in the Pakistan city of Quetta on Sunday (April 29).

"The ICRC condemns in the strongest possible terms this barbaric act," ICRC Director-General Yves Daccord said in a statement. "All of us at the ICRC and at the British Red Cross share the grief and outrage of Khalil's family and friends."

Dale was kidnapped by suspected militants on January 5 while on his way home from work. Police discovered Dale's head and body wrapped in plastic near a western bypass road. His name was written on the white plastic bag with black marker.

"A sharp knife was used to sever his head from the body," said Safdar Hussain, the first doctor to examine the body. "He was killed about 12 hours ago."

Quetta is the capital of southwestern Baluchistan, Pakistan's biggest but poorest province, where Baluch separatist militants are fighting a protracted insurgency for more autonomy and control over the area's natural resources. Pro-Taliban militants are also active in the province, which shares borders with Afghanistan and Iran.

Dale had worked for the ICRC and the British Red Cross in Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq before coming to Pakistan. He had been managing a health programme for Baluchistan for almost a year when he was abducted, the ICRC statement said.

"We are devastated," Daccord said. "Khalil was a trusted and very experienced Red Cross staff member who significantly contributed to the humanitarian cause."

Four health workers, including two doctors, were kidnapped by militants the week before Dale's disappearance from the Pishin area of Baluchistan, near Quetta. They were freed after a shootout between police and their kidnappers.