World News‎ > ‎

Chinese Families Of MH370 Passengers Moved From Hotel 'Because Of Formula One'

posted 22 Mar 2014, 02:55 by Mpelembe Admin   [ updated 22 Mar 2014, 02:56 ]

Malaysian official says Chinese families of passengers aboard missing flight MH370 have been moved from their hotel near Kuala Lumpur to make way for customers of the upcoming Malaysian Formula One grand prix.

SEPANG, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA (MARCH 22, 2014) (REUTERS) - Chinese families who chose to fly to Kuala Lumpur to be closer to the search for relatives on board missing flight MH370 have been moved to make way for motorsports fans, a Malaysian official said on Saturday (March 22).

By late Friday (March 21), a handful of Chinese families who had been staying at a resort south of Kuala Lumpur had to decamp to another hotel to make way for visitors to the upcoming Malaysian Formula One grand prix.

"Look, I thought it was already explained, it's because of the Formula One. They are ok, they are not unhappy about that," Malaysia's envoy to ChinaOng Ka Ting told reporters.

"They are ok, they are well taken care of, I think they are fully understood and they accepted it," he added.

For families of the passengers, the search has proved to be an emotionally wrenching battle to elicit information, their angst fuelled by a steady stream of speculation and false leads.

In a Beijing hotel where the bulk of Chinese families have been awaiting information, the deadlock has prompted rage over perceived Malaysian incompetence.

On Wednesday (March 19), grief erupted into anger in Malaysia when several family members unfurled a protest banner in front of a throng of journalists, demanding the truth from the Malaysian government.

The ruckus prompted police to escort the relatives, including a distraught mother, away from the briefing room.


Comments